Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Vet education question

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Vet education question
I dont know if this is the type of question this forum is for but I am hoping someone here can answer it for me anyways. I am looking to further my education in the veterinary field however i really have no desire to actually become a veterinarian. I am looking into a vet tech program right now. Eventually I want to get into more natural medicine for pets (mainly dogs) such as massage, herbalism, and possibly accupuncture. Is a vet tech program going to get me closer to any of thoes goals? Do I have to have licences for herbalism and accupuncture? I have already found that you dont really HAVE to had a licence for canine massage. any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated
Great question, I hope I can help.
First off, entering and RVT program is a noble goal. The level of science taught in these programs will certainly give you a strong grasp of comparative anatomy and physiology and will help you in the future.
Whether you need a license or not depends upon your provincial or state veterinary licensing board. Most vet organizations prevent people from practicing any sort of recognized treatment on animals without either being a veterinarian or working with a veterinarian. The second option will allow you to pursue your goals though, even without being a veterinarian. I cant speak for every vet out there however most would be happy to associate themselves with someone who wishes to pursue improvements in animal care.
Good luck.