Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Weight Question

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Weight Question
I was just curious as to the weight my Welsh Corgi should be at her age 1 yr 6 mo she seems very small for her breed we have the pedigree and track of her blood line back 10 yr's and know shes pure shes about 15 lbs right now and just want to be sure shes getting enough to eat
Interesting question.
I dont put a lot of thought into an ideal weight based upon a breed standrd. Yes for the sake of showing a dog they need to be a certain size and if the parents both are one size then likely the puppy will also be a similar size, but like in human familes, there is often one puppy that is extra big or extra small. (In our family it is my brother...he is 5 inches taller then me)
To better determine if your dog is the right weight for her, do what I call "the hug test". Feel her chest and back and note how prominent the ribs and spine are. You should be able to feel each rib with a little pressure. If you cant, then your dog is too heavy. If the ribs are "pointy" then she is too light. It is similar for the spine. Pet her along her back and normally you should feel the points of each vertebrae. If you cant then she is too heavy. If the spine seems prominent and even the side edges of the vertebrae are palpable then she is too thin.