Animal Health - General Expert Forum
What are these small bumps?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What are these small bumps?

For the past 4-5 months, my dog, Molly, has had multiple pea-sized or less bumps on her back from lower neck to tail area.  They are light yellow-tan in color and seem to come and go. They can be scraped off with a fingernail and fall apart into a gritty material. There is no visible skin inflammation or discharge. Molly frequently rolls over to scratch her back on the carpet, but she has done this since a puppy and I can't say it is any worse. We use Frontline Plus for flea prevention, Oxyfresh Pet Shampoo and we feed her Iams dry dog food supplemented with Pedigree canned food and table scraps. She likes to chew rawhide "bones". Molly sleeps indoors on a regularly washed dog bed, but goes outdoors frequently. We have no other pets, but she is occassionally exposed to my son's indoor cats and the neighborhood dogs.
I took Molly to her regular vet about 6 weeks ago. He did not think the bumps were from flea bites, but he wasn't sure what they  were from. He suggested an allergy from unknown cause and gave her a steroid injection. The bumps improved for about 3 weeks, but are now returning again. Any suggestions?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
4 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
mixed miniature poodle and English shepherd
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 15, 2011
City
:  
Fairmont
State/Province
:  
MN
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results