Animal Health - General Expert Forum
What should I do with my diabetic 13 year old cat who was just diagnose...
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What should I do with my diabetic 13 year old cat who was just diagnosed with cancer?

Hello. My cat (Sancho) is 13.5 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes about two years ago and currently needs insulin shots twice a day and a special diet to control his sugar levels. We took him in for his annual vaccines and blood work this week and the vet noticed a small lump on the top of his head. A biopsy was sent to the lab and the results show that it is a mast cell tumor (malign). The vet has explained that further diagnostics are required to see if the spleen is compromised before she can determine if it can be removed entirely or not but unfortunately I just can't afford further diagnostics, surgery, or a lengthy cancer treatment. I am also concerned that due to his advanced age and diabetes he would have a rough time recovering from any invasive treatment and this could reduce his quality of life.
Sancho has not exhibited any signs of being unwell... he is eating well, has not lost any weight, and is just being his usual lazy self. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of any univeristies or centers in Quebec or Ontario where veterinary students can run diagnostics/ surgery at lower costs?
2. Given Sancho's diabetes, age, and the fact that he seems "fine" should I put him through the trauma of a lengthy and possibly invasive treatment? (we all know that stress can have HUGE effects on a cat's well-being)
3. If we decide to just try to maintain his quality of life and don't remove the mass... are there any natural products we can give him that will not throw off his sugar levels?
4. Any other suggestions/ ideas will be appreciated...

Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Just your average house cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
December 21, 2010
State/Province
:  
Ontario
Country
:  
Canada
Blood Test Results
:  
(pending)
X-Ray Results