Animal Health - General Expert Forum
What should I do with my diabetic 13 year old cat who was just diagnose...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

What should I do with my diabetic 13 year old cat who was just diagnosed with cancer?

Hello. My cat (Sancho) is 13.5 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes about two years ago and currently needs insulin shots twice a day and a special diet to control his sugar levels. We took him in for his annual vaccines and blood work this week and the vet noticed a small lump on the top of his head. A biopsy was sent to the lab and the results show that it is a mast cell tumor (malign). The vet has explained that further diagnostics are required to see if the spleen is compromised before she can determine if it can be removed entirely or not but unfortunately I just can't afford further diagnostics, surgery, or a lengthy cancer treatment. I am also concerned that due to his advanced age and diabetes he would have a rough time recovering from any invasive treatment and this could reduce his quality of life.
Sancho has not exhibited any signs of being unwell... he is eating well, has not lost any weight, and is just being his usual lazy self. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of any univeristies or centers in Quebec or Ontario where veterinary students can run diagnostics/ surgery at lower costs?
2. Given Sancho's diabetes, age, and the fact that he seems "fine" should I put him through the trauma of a lengthy and possibly invasive treatment? (we all know that stress can have HUGE effects on a cat's well-being)
3. If we decide to just try to maintain his quality of life and don't remove the mass... are there any natural products we can give him that will not throw off his sugar levels?
4. Any other suggestions/ ideas will be appreciated...

Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
13.5
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Just your average house cat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
December 21, 2010
State/Province
:  
Ontario
Country
:  
Canada
Blood Test Results
:  
(pending)
X-Ray Results
:  
N/a
Other pertinent test results
:  
Biopsy of lump on his head revealed he has a malign mast cell tumor
I am sorry about your cat!

Many dermal mast cell tumors in cats are benign and surgical excision may even be curative.  Surgical excision can often be performed with a local anesthetic if the mass is not too large, with or without a mild sedation.  This type of surgery is fast, not overly invasive and, is not very costly.

If a splenic mast cell tumor is suspected, X-Rays and then an abdominal ultrasound should be performed.  Surgical removal of a splenic mass would be an invasive surgery.

If it is positive that your cat has a splenic or other abdominal mass and you do not want to have him undergo surgery, than there are holistic anti-cancer treatments than can be used.  The best option would be to seek assistance from a holistic vet, or if your present vet does holistic treatments you can inquire from him/her about the use of Neoplasene oral anti-cancer therapy.  Other anti-cancer options are: Poly MVA available online from polymva.com, Hoxsey Formula (available online), adding Turmeric to your cats diet and placing him on a cancer diet (which is also diabetic friendly) among other options, such as Chinese herbal anti-cancer remedies.  All of the listed options are diabetic friendly.

If you are interested in the anti-cancer diet and herbal remedies please post again.

For information about veterinary help and schools in your area please post to the medhelp vet community.