Animal Health - General Expert Forum
What to do to water?
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What to do to water?

My dog is quite healthy. She has a healthy appetite, exercises a great deal and seems extremely healthy in general. But she pretty much REFUSES to drink plain water. I have tried bottled water, letting water sit in the frig, yet the only water she will drink is the water I mix in her gravy train food. I am glad I can get her to drink this much water but I know she needs to be drinking more. It hasn't affected her health so far and I would like to take care of this problem before it does. What should I do??
Tags: needs h2o
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
2 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
pitbull/lab mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 15, 2008
City
:  
Locust
State/Province
:  
NC
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Everything was fine
Other pertinent test results
:  
Everything was fine
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Have you tried placing down bowls of low sodium chicken, beef, fish, or vegetable broths or dilute vegetable or low sugar fruit juices?  

If your dog absolutely refuses to drink anything you should only give canned food or a home made stew with lots of water.  Please eliminate all dry dog food.  Adding additional water to the canned food is also helpful, of course.  

Inadequate drinking may show up as kidney problems in the future.

If you would like the recipe for a home-made stew for your dog please post to Dr. Cheng.
2 Comments
Blank
462827_tn?1333172552
Please, worry about the food your feeding this guy instead of the water.......

Top 10 Ingredients In Gravy Train Dog Food

1.Corn (Minus 1 point): Inexpensive feed-grade used as filler.  Can include moldy grain or fungus which has caused death. Know to cause allergies in dogs.

2.Soybean meal (Minus 1 point): Dogs can not digest soybeans, can bloat/die. Causes allergies.

3.Beef and bonemeal (Minus 1 point): Bone meal can not be digested and assimilated as calcium!

4.Animal fat (Minus 1 point): Non-descriptive source indicates 4-D fat chemically preserved, difficult to digest, potentially carcinogenic. (Causes Cancer).

5.Animal digest (Minus 1 point): Rendered, by chemical and/or enzymatic process, non-descriptive animal tissues used for flavor. Animal Digest is basically Feces or Poop.

6.Salt (Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

7.Cellulose gum (Minus 1 point):  Harsh on bowels, suspected to include recycled cardboard.

8.Caramel color (Minus 1 point):  Sugar-based or can be prepared by ammonia process associated with blood toxicity in lab rats. Coloring agents should never be used in Pet Food.

9.Potassium chloride (Plus 1 point): Standard source of potassium, balances acid/alkaline levels.

10.Bone phosphate (Minus 1 point):  Non-digestible source of calcium can lead to digestive upset. Can be from 4-D sources.

Ingredient analysis are based on the research and opinions created by a cooperative effort between pet food formulator Dr. Lisa Newman, N.D., Ph.D. (www.Azmira.com), Mike Adams (www.HealthRanger.org) and the non-profit Consumer Wellness Center (www.ConsumerWellness.org).

Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity