It would help us greatly if you could post a photo of this phenomenon.
I think you may be describing peripheral edema, which is an accumulation of fluids extravascularly (outside blood vessels), This can result from lack of circulatory proteins in the blood, or a back up of fluids due to a circulatory problem from heart or other organic disease.
Since you asked for a cause I am providing a list of causes from the veterinary textbook: "Veterinary Five Minute Consult" as follows:
Low Oncotic Pressure (Hypoalbuminemia) (low protein in the blood)
• Hepatic disease
• Protein-losing renal (i.e., nephrotic syndrome) or gastrointestinal disease
• Severe blood loss with noncolloid fluid replacement
• High hydrostatic pressure
• Right-sided or biventricular congestive heart failure (CHF)
• Pericardial effusion with tamponade
• Right atrial mass
• Vena cava obstruction
• Overhydration, especially if associated with acute oliguric renal failure or hypoproteinemia
High Capillary Permeability
• Vasculitis (e.g., infectious disease and tick-related disease)
• Some snake venoms
• Trauma, burns
Lymphatic Abnormality (i.e., Lymphedema)
• Infiltration or abcessation of regional or multiple lymph nodes
• Traumatic lymphatic disruption
• Congenital malformation of lymphatic system
It would be best to take your dog to the vet to have the problem evaluated. Since I can't see the problem it may not even be peripheral edema. If could be enlarged lymph nodes, or fat pads.
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.