Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Why does my dog have a rash?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Why does my dog have a rash?

My 2 year old pug has a rash in the creases of his hind legs (groin).  He doesn't bother or lick it; however when I tried to take a better look he seemed bothered as thouogh it may be painful.  We live in Phoenix, AZ so it's hot and he is a swmmer, so I first thought heat rash or yeast rash.  What are your thoughts?

Erika
Yeast is a good possibility, however, it is usually itchy.  It would be best to have the rash checked out be a veterinarian who can perform a skin scraping to check for mites, and secondary bacterial infections.

You could also try bathing  your dog, especially in the groin area using Nizoral shampoo (over the counter), which contains an antifungal.  Leave the shampoo on your dog for 10 minutes, than rinse.  Bathe you dog daily for a few days or for one week using this method.  If there is no improvement it would be best to take your dog to the vet for diagnosis.