Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Why is my cat acting strange?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Why is my cat acting strange?

My cat has been acting strange, and I have no idea why. Lately, he has been slinking around, and hiding. He usually slinks around but never like this. He goes up to things and meows at them like he's going to talk to them, and them walks away. He has also been meowing at the basement door. He hids in places hes never gone before, at least not of my knowing. He goes behind, under, over, around and into everything he can now. He used to kid in my backpack and my mom's purse all the time but now hes everywhere. HELP!!! My mom and i dont know whats wrong!
Type of Animal
:  
Cats
Age of Animal
:  
3 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Long-Hair/Short-Hair Domestic
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 01, 2007
City
:  
Easton
State/Province
:  
Pa
Country
:  
United States
Blood Test Results
:  
not sure
X-Ray Results
:  
not sure
Other pertinent test results
:  
he got his mandatory shots
I hope we can help you get to the bottom of this but it may require a trip to your veterinarian..  Its not uncommon for cats to hide when they don't feel well.  It would be nice to have more information.  Is he eating and drinking normally?  Is he an indoor cat only or does he go out side?  Is he your only cat? This is a situation where it maybe helpful to have your veterinarian check him.  They can take the history you have given us and combine it with a physical exam.  The results of that physical exam could be very helpful in determining the problem with your kitty.  With out examining your cat its also possible this is a behavioral problem.  To diagnose this as a behavioral problem would require ruling out all the potential medical problems.
Let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Dr Vicksman
How long has this been going on? We always worry when male cats are acting strange, particularly if it's related to his litter box (acting painful, urinating in unusual places, etc.), as male cats can occasionally get a urinary blockage (feline urethral obstruction). This is typically ACUTE - this goes on for a few days, and can be a very serious medical program. If you're noticing these signs, please bring him to a vet immediately!