Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Why is my cat losing weight abd wont gain it back

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My cat Cuddles is 14 and is a indoor/outdoor cat.  Cuddles has always been a healthy weight last check 12-13lbs not he is a scrawny 9lbs. He is always sleeping, not as activie as he use to be. I understand he is getting old and mellow but the weight loss is what i am really concerende about. He has always eaten twice a day now I find myself feeding him 4 times a day and he still doesnt seem to be gaining the weight.  what should I do?
Tags: cat
Type of Animal
:  
Cat
Age of Animal
:  
14
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 25, 2010
This sounds very much like an elevated thyroid. This condition is primarily seen in older cats and causes them to develop a severely elevated metabolism. They become very hungry and yet lose weight. Diagnosis and treatment is pretty straight forward however without intervention the elevated thyroid results in irreversible kidney and heart damage.
Dr. Redford,
Thank you so much for answering my question. It is greatly appreciated and I will be taking Cuddles to get checked out today.