Animal Health - General Expert Forum
aggressive rabbit

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

aggressive rabbit

Hi! So glad I found this forum.  About 4 months ago I adopted a loped bunny. the family I got her from gave her up because the daughter was allergic. I also have a small mix breed dog 6 yrs old and she got along fine with the rabbit in the house,playing with her, gaving her kisses, bunny would lay down by the dog all good stuff during the winter months. The last 4 weeks we've been taking the bunny in the backyard to hang out and play since it's been nice out. She played with the dog the first couple of times until recently. Starting 2 weekends ago the rabbit attacked the dog. Bunny (Julie) standing on her hind legs and punching her and going to bite the dog, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. We tried it again the next day and had them both in the yard again and the bunny keeps running after the dog. the dog cant go on the deck or under the deck the bunny attacks her. My dog hasnt hurt the bunny in anyway, but I can tell when this happens she is trying to defend herself, growls and trys to get away from the bunny. Just yesteday when I let the bunny in the house she immediately went to the corner where the dogs likes to lie down and went after her again and also peeing and pooping all over the place.  I would never have thought this would ever happen. Why is this happening all of a sudden and what can I do about it.  thanks for your help.
Tags: Dogs, Health
I would have your veterinarian rule out all the medical causes for behavioral problems first.  Has your rabbit lost any weight?  Are the stools normal?  If she spends a lot of time outdoors please have a fecal exam for the usual parasites and for giardia and other protozoa.  Are her teeth normal or are they overgrown?  Do they need to be clipped or filed? Is the diet optimal?   Your veterinarian can answer these questions.  
I would also recommend an abdominal X-ray and urinalysis.  Bladder stones and urinary tract infections are common in rabbits and can make them aggressive due to pain.  I would also check for a large hairball (small hairball
How old is the bunny?  Has she been spayed? (not sure if that's the correct term for removal of bunny ovaries!)

We used to have bunnies, and as they got older, two of them ganged up on the 3rd and eventually killed him.  I believe they get aggressive and territorial with sexual maturity.  

Thanks doctor and peekawho for your advice.  As far as i know the bunny has not been spayed.  since i have adopted her I haven't taken her to the vet for a checkup, I will definitely make an appt for her.

I will also try the spray bottle since I know it does work on dogs being I work in a doggie daycare facility part time. I didnt think all these things could be the cause, very interesting to know.  I was thrilled when they got along so well in   the beginning it was actually pretty cute to see them both lying on the floor together next to one another, like they were best buddies.

I will make the appt to see if there is anything medical going on, if not I will  try to train her with the spray bottle in hopes they can again comingle in the backyard.  

Thank you again, this was very helpful
I have an unneutered male rabbit and a spayed female rabbit.  The male is a few months younger, but has been aggressive lately, attacking the female, and chasing her around the cage, and she has many scratches.  It has gotten worse since we put them in their new cage, we were going to separate them, but we were afraid that the re-entry into the new cage would cause even more aggresion (aggression).  Is this a phase the male is going through? I want to know if he will badly hurt the female and if I should separate them.