Animal Health - General Expert Forum
allergic reaction to vaccine 2 weeks later?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My 14 year old cat was vaccinated for: rabies, feline leukaemia, and 4 in 1, on March 1st. I had him vaccinated as I wanted to have him microchipped, and the vet would only do this if his vacs were up to date and they were not.  A few hours later he became extremely lethargic and stopped eating, he was also very sore in his back legs.  About 1 week later, his appetite was slowly increasing and so was his activity and mobility.  Then 12 days later, he suddenly started to sleep all the time.  He will not get up to eat or use his box.  I have to wake him and hold his food bowl in front of him to get him to eat.  He does seem hungry when he is presented with food, and will eat it.   Also last night I carried him to his box, as he hadn't moved from his sleeping place all day.  He did urinate, but that is all.  The stiffness in his back legs is even worse now, and he looks very uncomfortable.  I do let him out (he's outdoor) in the morning, but I am unsure of his bowel movements when he is outside.  
   I got him when he was 2 years, and I have not vaccinated him, and I'm not in contact with the previous owner, so I don't know if he had previous reactions to vacs.  I assume he was vaccinated as a kitten, as when I got him he was neutered and declawed.
    My question is, could this all be a negative reaction to the vacs?  What can I do to alleviate his discomfort?  It's breaking my heart to see him like this.
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
14
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 12, 2011
City
:  
Toronto
State/Province
:  
Ontario
Country
:  
Canada
It does sound as if your cat has had a vaccine reaction or a reaction to the combination of vaccines.  Since your cat had no prior health records there was of course no way to know that a problem would occur.  However, since your cat is a senior citizen it would have been better to have had her vaccinated with one or two of the more important vaccines and saved the feline leukemia vaccine to be given two or three weeks later.  Most cats do not have any difficulty with receiving three vaccines at one office visit at any age.  She was just not one of the lucky ones.  

It might be best to bring her back to your vet, have blood work (CBC/Chemistry) performed and  she should probably be placed on symptomatic treatment such fluid therapy, steroids, and other therapies as warranted by her blood work results.

Many veterinary practices now offer vaccinal titer blood-work which is performed in lieu of automatically giving vaccines each year.  Protection from the disease is determined by how high the vaccinal titer is.  If the amount of antibody to the disease in the blood is high it means that the patient is protected against that disease.  At my practice we have found that in some cases a patient does not have to be re-vaccinated for many years.  This is safer for patients who are prone to vaccine reaction.