Animal Health - General Expert Forum
blood from dog's vulva

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

blood from dog's vulva

My westy terrier  is 4 year's old and has been spayed 2 years ago. before few month's I noticed little blood from her vulva. and it's not stopped from then. i took her to a vet, urine is ok, x-rays ok. vet was confused but he gave shots of antibiotics jus for sure. but nothing helped. dog is acting normally. eating, drinking, peiing ok. but few drops of blood every day. i'm scared and confused.
In a female dog the urethra is tucked into the vulva so it looks as though the blood may be coming from the vulva but it is probably coming from the urinary bladder.  She may have an unusual urinary tract infection.  Other causes can include an incomplete spay where part of the uterus and ovary have been accidentally left in, and, although unusual she could have had an extra uterine horn with overy that was overlooked.  There is also a disease called uterine stump pyometra.  This occurs when the small stump left of the uterus in a spayed female dog becomes infected.  This could look similarily to a urinary tract infection or vaginitis.  And vaginitis is also a possibility. Another possibility is cancer of any of the organs that we are discussing but I believe that this would be more unusual due to the young age of your dog.   Has your vet done a culture and sensitivity of the vulva?  Tried to pass a urinary catherter?  Done any blood tests including hormone tests?  Lastly, if it is a uterine stump pyometra, an X-Ray usually does not show anything unless you are very lucky.   The good news is that she is acting normally.  I believe that your vet will be able to discover the cause soon.  Let us know how it goes!