Animal Health - General Expert Forum
busted blood vessel in dog ear

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

busted blood vessel in dog ear

For three weeks now my dog has a busted blood vessel in his ear, therefore it's completely filled with blood.  I do not have the money to get him fixed.  I have tried to drain it, however, it does fill up immediatly.  I can't find anything to leave in his ear to keep it draining like a vet has done before.  My question is can there be any other side effects besides the filing of the ear with blood if I dont get it fixed at this time?
Tags: Health, head, Pain
If you can get your dog to stop shaking his head stop him from breaking the capilliaries in his ear the blood will eventually resorb.  However, your dog's pinna (the flappy part of the ear) will become hard, curl up, and fibrose down like a prize fighter's cauliflower ear.  This is primarily a cosmetic problem.  

I know that you said that you can't afford to go to the vet right now but realize that this problem is caused by pain and itching in the ear.  When your dog shakes his head he is trying to relieve the pain and itching.  Please call your veterinarian and ask if you can at least pick up a tube of Otomax or Momentamax to treat the ear infection at home until you can afford to have your dog examined by the vet.  
How big is it and where is it located in the ear? I've seen small hematomas clear up on their own if left alone. I don't attempt to drain them if they're not interfering with anything (I have a Robin in now with a small one by the beak). And how are you draining it? Unless you're using something sterile then you could introduce some bacteria which would complicate matters.