Animal Health - General Expert Forum
can one dose of low dose aspirin cause renal failure in my dog

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Help,, my dog was having a hard time getting up, I gave her a low dose aspirin. the next day she was throwoing up  then diarrhea followed. i took her to the vet that week, her creating is 8.7, they said renal failure. did i do this.
Sorry Delilah to hear about what is happening.
While aspirin is hard on the kidneys, especially with older dogs, the likelihood of one dosage causing this is extremely low. The aspirin may have caused the vomiting and diarrhea but again to happen after one dose is a surprise. I expect your dog had kidney disease prior to the medication and maybe it "pushed her over the edge" but there is a good chance it is a coincidence. You were trying to help her feel better and in that your heart was in the right place. Just focus on getting her better now.