Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cat losing clumps of hair

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

cat losing clumps of hair

My 13 year old longhair cat has been loosing clumps of hair over the past 2-3 days. It is strange because of the number of them and because they are in clumps. I checked for fleas and that doesn't seem to be the problem. He is an indoor cat, but got out (overnight) about 3 days ago.
  • Ear mites (2 replies):
    How do you know if your cat has ear mites or just dirty ...[more]
  • Mnage (2 replies):
    Want to know if one can tell me what is mange ? How & wh...[more]
  • scab hair loss (1 replies):
    My cat Rufus just went to the vet and was treated for ea...[more]
  • cat mites
    My male cat was hospitalized for operation for bladder s...[more]
  • Ear mites (3 replies):
    I have a 3 year old yorkie who sleep in bed with me. I ...[more]
Please bring your cat to the veterinarian and have a complete blood profile performed with a thyroid panel.  Also,  have your veterinarian check for mites and other skin parasites.  There are several types of cat mites that cause extreme itching and are quickly contagious from wildlife.  Your cat may have been exposed to these parasites when outside for the one day.  Ear mites can cause extreme itching around the head, so your cat should also be check for those as well as ear polyps.  Injectable depo-medrol or oral prednisolone would help your cat if your cat has had an allergic reaction to an ectoparasite.