Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cat w/heart murmur and neutering
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cat w/heart murmur and neutering

My cat is 5 months old and our vet detected a slight heart murmur.  Not yet confirmed on ultrasound, so not sure of cause.  But he is completely energetic and doesn't show any signs of a problem.

Vet said there is a slight risk of a problem during the neutering procedure, but since he'll only be under general anesthesia for 5-10 minutes, he'll probably be just fine.

Do you have any thoughts on this?  The ultrasound is kind of expensive, plus the cost of potential open heart surgery if a defect is found.  I plan to continue monitoring the murmur as he grows, but not sure expensive diagnostics and invasive procedures are worthwhile at this point.  I would like to have him neutered soon.