Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cat weight loss, hair loss, bumps on neck and potty accidents

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

im not sure how old my cat is [due to me rescuing her from a taped up cage on a 100 degree day] she has been the same size since the day i got her [about 5 years ago] up till about a month ago she has NeVeR had an accident, even when she wasnt feeling well. now she poops/pees in the kitchen sink, bath tub, pans, anything really. she is losing hair around her back/butt. and has had bumps/scabs come and go on her neck. my dog does have fleas [a pain/challenge to get rid of] but i have not found one on my cat [they dont even go into the same rooms] she has lost alot of weight in the past few weeks and she meows alot lately [ she never was really a noisey cat till now] she is kind of distant with me [which she used to be at my hip 24/7] any ideas on whats going on with her? i cant really afford a huge vet bill right now and i havent gotten the chance to talk to any vets about making payments yet.
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
?
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
?
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 03, 2008
City
:  
sandwich
State/Province
:  
il
This is a common issue that arises with cats (urinating in the sink etc) but unfortunately the treatment is not an easy one. It sounds like either a urinary tract infection or something more serious (due to the weight loss and depressed attitude). I believe the skin lesions are not related.
Unfortunately there is little that can be done to help without a vet's visit. They will need to examine your cat, assess the urine and prescribe medication. There is also a concern that this is related to kidney disease, a kidney infection, urinary stones etc. and all of those are urgent in requiring treatment. Here in Canada there are great third party financing companies (petcard is one of them...maybe theyre in the US too) that can help with delayed payments. I hope you can understand a vet's reluctance to create their own payment plan options.
Good luck.
Hey Rssa, your problem s :unds familar to one I had with my oldest cat about 13 years ago.... same thing bumps under neck, hairless butt took her to vet she had allergy to fleas . They gave her allergy shot (steroids) and within a day or two all better ( hair took a while to grow back) . I never seen a flea on her neither! i still have to take her about 2x year now for same problem. Total cost around 40.00 . Hope this helps ; )
I would also have a feline leukemia test done.  The symptoms really sound familiar, I had two cats years ago who has this disease. I hope that's not what it is.