Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cats acting strange and possible flea allergy

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

All the sudden my cat will do anything not to have to step on the area rug. He will jump on tables,furniture and around perimeter of carpet which covers almost half of the bedroom. A couple of days ago i used Revolution on him for fleas and the next day Capstar. This has become painful for me because he will come flying in the air while i am sitting in chair watching tv and i get scratched when he lands because he wont just walk on the carpet. Please help i am worried about him.
Its been almost a week since he got the revolution and he is still scratching on both sides of his neck under his ear and above shoulder blades by his head he is still scratching and he has hair missing in those areas it looks raw like red to purple color and where his hair was there is also tiny black dots like flea dirt stuck in his skin i believe he is having a reaction to the fleas where he was bitten. The flea bites he before seem to be clearing up because i see or feel the bumps. Is there anything i can put on those areas to help him stop itching and clear that up. Thanks for your help
Your cat most likely has flea allergy dermatitis.  One flea bite in the allergic cat can cause allergic reactions in the skin such as constant itching for a month, even after there are no more fleas left in the environment or on your cat.  Your cat will need steroids either by injection or orally until the lesions resolve.  Your cat may also have a secondary bacterial skin infection (called pyoderma) due to self inflicted excoriations (scratching or biting himself until his skin is so torn up that it allows bacteria in and becomes infected), for which he will need an oral antibiotic.  As always you will have to go to the vet for the steroids and antibiotics.  I don't know why your cat has an aversion to your rug.  You could try applying Feliway or other feline pheromone to try to curb the aversion.  Lastly, you should use an insecticide for the fleas that may be in your home such as a flea bomb or premise spray.
Thank you for your response I will take him to the vet. I really believe he is allergic and i want him to stop itching the same areas over and over.