Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dog catherter surgically incerted

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

dog catherter surgically incerted

I just brought my 9 1/2 year old dog home.  The vet thought he had a stone blocking the penis and tried to put in a catherter.  He cut the urethra while doing this.  So, my dog is home (2 days) with a surgically placed catherter and bleeds everytime he wets and ozes blood a bit at rest.  I called the vet when I got home and saw the bleeding and he said it was to be expected but didn't say for how long and I didn't think to ask.  How long should this happen?  How many days should I expect the bleeding to continue and how much should he be bleeding to begin with.  He's still very slow and doesn't move about much.
It depends on how bad the cut was.  I would think about 3 days for the oozing and bleeding to ease up.  If you have a good health food store, or Chinese supermarket near by please purchase an herbal formula called Yunan Baiyo.  It is an oral formula for bleeding.  Each package comes with a small red emergency pill.  Give this to your dog immediately, than follow with the capsules at  a dose of 2 capsules per day for a small dog and up to 4 capsules per day for a large dog.  It should cut the bleeding time in half.