Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dog has sore on leg

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

dog has sore on leg

I have a problem with my beagle she has a sore on her leg ..see picture on recent post in dog forum (Oct 30, 7.56am) dont know what could of caused it, vet treated for ringworm, but  now confirmed by vet today that it is a bacterial infection he syringed fluid from sore and looked in microscope said there was alot of  C shaped cells and some large mast cells ! he has given her a injection of antibiotics and oral antibiotics ....My question is about 6weeks ago she had cruciate ligament surgery could this have been caused by an infection from the surgery and has only shown up now ?.. it just seems to much of a coincedence that she got the infection on the same leg as the one that was operated on ...

ne55
If the lesion is directly associated with the surgical area, than it could be related to the surgery.

Any surgery is a stress to any body, and the healing process can cause the body to be a bit weaker than is usual;  thus a minor skin problem which did not require antibiotics initially,  turned into a skin infection that requires antibiotics.

If the infection does not heal rapidly, your vet should perform a culture and sensitivity and fine needle aspirate which should be read by a pathologist.