Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dog peeing on my bed

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

dog peeing on my bed

I have a 3 year female Yorkie and a 4 year old male yorkie. The problem is with my female. She is spayed and mostly house broken. Occasionally she'll pee when she gets excited or we don't notice her by the back door. My problem is that she pee's on my bed. I'll let her in from outside and if I go into my bedroom she'll jump up and pee on my side of the bed. She hasn't peed on my husbands side just mine and also in my daughters bed, which is on my side of the bed. Lately she's also taken to peeing on my pajamas. At first I thought it might be a UTI and will still take her to be checked. I'm wondering if she's trying to show dominance over me since, she prefers my husband to me, and it's only on my side of the bed. Also she doesn't do this when he's out of town. She's been doing this for several months now and I can't figure out how to make her stop if indeed it is a jealousy issue.
It does sound like it is behavioral but you must make sure that there are no medical causes that could contribute to the problem.    

The following physical causes must be ruled out first: urinary tract infection, early kidney disease,  medically responsive urinary incontinence, or a combination of the above.

Please take her to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection, early renal disease or urinary incontinence.  Urinary incontinence is more difficult to diagnose and is usually diagnosed by therapeutic trial.   A therapeutic trial consists of giving urinary incontinence medications to the patient and seeing if the symptoms go away. If the symptoms abate while on the medication, than it was it urinary incontinence.

If it turns out that there are no medical reasons responsible for the urinary problems than obviously, behavioral modification and possibly medical intervention may be necessary.

Re-training can be a long drawn out process, and may require a professional trainer.  Your vet should also be able to help with a referral for training if necessary.