Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dogs first cycle, complications

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

dogs first cycle, complications
My dog is a year and three months ols and started her first heat r days ago, yesterday she seemed a little sluggish so i gave her a vitamin... Shes always the first one up to eat but this morning she slept late and practically had to force her up. She seems to be in alot of pain,slow moving and almost looks like shes limping. Still has a strong appetite and drinking, no diarrhea

Thanks,
Billy=15yrs in dogs
Great question.
First off, this will be her second or third heat. Heat cycles start at 6 months old. This is potentially a uterine infection called a pyometra. It is very serious and needs a veterinarian's attention asap. She will need to be spayed.
The first heat must have been completely silent as i sever saw and my male never gave indication.... Gave her pedialite and antibiotics for the past couple days and shes doing fine.. Thank you very much for your help