Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dogs first cycle, complications
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

dogs first cycle, complications

My dog is a year and three months ols and started her first heat r days ago, yesterday she seemed a little sluggish so i gave her a vitamin... Shes always the first one up to eat but this morning she slept late and practically had to force her up. She seems to be in alot of pain,slow moving and almost looks like shes limping. Still has a strong appetite and drinking, no diarrhea

Thanks,
Billy=15yrs in dogs
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
16 mths
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
american pit bull terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 01, 2012
State/Province
:  
tx
2054217_tn?1330542034
Great question.
First off, this will be her second or third heat. Heat cycles start at 6 months old. This is potentially a uterine infection called a pyometra. It is very serious and needs a veterinarian's attention asap. She will need to be spayed.
2 Comments
Blank
The first heat must have been completely silent as i sever saw and my male never gave indication.... Gave her pedialite and antibiotics for the past couple days and shes doing fine.. Thank you very much for your help
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979