Animal Health - General Expert Forum
ear irittation?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

ear irittation?

My Maltese ear seems to look irritated but it doesn't seem to bother her (from my point of view). It is really red and dry and flaky like it would itch really bad but doesn't. Her other ear is its right color with no flakes or anything looks really healthy. Is there anything I could do about this until I can afford to take her to the vet I don't want it to get worse.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
1
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Maltese
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
June 21, 2012
A red ear that is dry but not itchy is the start of an infection. Eventually your little girl will start itching and rubbing it and then an infection will ensue. An over the counter cleaner, ideally one with a little cortisone action to it will help significantly and may save you the need for a vet visit. Any major pet store will have one.
How to Treat Irritation of the Inner Ear
By Kitty Cruiser, eHow Contributor
Pain and irritation in the ear can be beyond bothersome. It can be rather annoying and keep you from doing simple, everyday tasks. Along with inner ear irritation comes sharp, dull pain and itching in an area that you cannot easily reach. You may be tempted to grab the nearest cotton-tipped swab and jam it into your ear, but that is one of the worst things you can do. Relieving inner ear irritation can be achieved with relative ease if done correctly.