Animal Health - General Expert Forum
extreme thick drool

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

extreme thick drool

I RECENTLY NOTICED THAT MY DOG HAD A THICK SLIMY DROOL ALL AROUND HER MOUTH. SHE IS STILL EATING AND DRINKING BUT HAS A HARD TIME BEAUSE OF THE DROOL. HER BREATH HAS BEEN EXTREMLY BAD SINCE THE DROOL APPEARED. WHAT COULD THIS BE AND WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP HER?
I think it best that you have her mouth and teeth examined, and if the vet deems it necessary to perform blood work and other diagnostics it would be warranted.

Dental disease, dehydration, kidney disease, and GI problems (indigestion, lack of digestive enzymes, etc.) can all cause halitosis, and an increase in the thickness of the saliva.  Changes in the salivary glands can also cause this problem, but it is less common.