Animal Health - General Expert Forum
fever in cats

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

fever in cats
My cat is burning with fever.  How can I help her until I can reach a vet?
Dear bellasacha,

Indeed you should see a veterinarian as soon as possible. There is little you can do to definitively diagnose and treat the cause of the fever at home. In the meantime, carefully giver her water by syringe or dropper in the mouth, no more than perhaps 1 ml at a time giving maybe 15 mls at a sitting and doing so every couple of hours. A 3.5 kilogram cat's daily maintenance fluid requirement is 231 ml per 24 hours. There is risk of aspiration and choking doing this, and fever alone will not generally make the cat worse, however, fever may lead to or indicate dehydration and that will make her worse. Do see your doctor as soon as possible for definitive care.

Sincerely,

Arnold L. Goldman DVM, MS
MedHelp & PetDocsOnCall