Animal Health - General Expert Forum
fish oil capsules
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

fish oil capsules

do my dogs need this for healthy skin..i am giving it to my chocolate lab and greyhound..and then i read that it might throw their ratio off since it is already in their kibble.. but i cant see how they get what they need in kibble since it is put in there and baked and also sits on the shelf..we buy it in amber colored bottles to keep it as fresh as we can, and i would think that the omega in the kibble would be diluted down..hope this makes sense..but i am confused on omega 3 and 6 ratios and if i need to give it to keep their skin and coat nice..right now they look great.. also what dosage if you do recommend it..77lbs and 87 lbs.  

Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
The amount of fish oils in any commercial dog food is usually insufficient.  There is no harm in giving a good fish oil supplement in addition.  The proper ratio is 2:1 Omega 3:6.  A good fish oil supplement such as Carlson's brand has the proper ratio.  Try to get a fish oil supplement that says there is no Mercury in the preperation.  If the label does not have this information the company usually has a customer service number or email address where you can ask.  Both your dogs need 1000 mg EPA/DHA/Marine Lipids or Fish Oil Supplements twice daily.  Another good natural supplement which has a good amount of EFA's in Missing Link and this supplement also has an excellent supply of anto-oxidents, vitamin's, minerals, etc.  The source's of EFA's in Missing Link are Flax seed oil and some fish oil.  Flax seed oil is a good source of essential fatty acid's for dogs.  Cat's cannot utilize flax seed oil and must have a fish source.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity