Animal Health - General Expert Forum
fluid

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

fluid

I have a beagle who' chest started to fill up with fluid. We took her to vet. They tried to do a ultra sound but couldn't, because of the fluid. We then took her to MSU vet school. They drained the fluid, seven pounds worth and did the ultra sound found nothing. Ran other test on the heart and chest area, and still found nothing. Blood test showed nothing, but wanted to operate and explore cavity as to what might cause it.  They wanted to operate not knowing what they are looking for. What is causing the fluid build up, when all test come back ok? Cancer, be and answer? Casy, my dog is filling back up again with fluid. Getting hard for her breathe. My wife reminded me casey had blatter infection, but that is cleaned up. Sorry about that part.
Tags: fluid
Type of Animal
:  
beagle
Age of Animal
:  
9
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
beagle
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 23, 2009
City
:  
lansing
State/Province
:  
Mi.
Country
:  
usa
1899billyboy,
Its obvious that you care for your beagle a lot and it sounds like she is in excellent hands.
Unfortunately it can be both frustrating for you as an owner and us as veterinarians when all our diagnostics come up negative.  Especially when there is a serious problem going on.  In this case I would agree with the doctors at MSU.  It sounds like an exploratory may be the only way to get a diagnosis.  Before you proceed though I would ask them if they think a cat scan or an MRI may be helpful.
Hope this helps.
Please keep me posted
Thanks,
Dr Vicksman
I agree with Dr. Vicksman. As frustrating as it is, sometimes advanced diagnostics need to be performed to rule out other underlying cancer, foreign bodies, etc. If you're at MSU, you're in really good hands! I'd also recommend either a CT or MRI to rule out any other cancer before proceeding to surgery, but it will likely add on an additional cost, FYI.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Also please note it is very common for fluid to be drained from either abdomen or chest and have it re-appear rapidly.  So the underlying cause must be found or this will continue to happen.  

Exploratory surgery is very commonly done and it often the way diseases are diagnosed.  In this case, because it is the chest, I would go with more blood and imaging work before the exploratory.  Heart Disease, Cancer, inflammation of the lining of the chest, blood or lymph flow blockages are all possibilities.  

Without an answer and treatment soon, the chest will likely fill again.  

Let us know how she does.