Animal Health - General Expert Forum
food question for diabetic dog
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

food question for diabetic dog

my dacshund is 20.5 lbs and 12 years old.  he was diagnosed as diabetic 4 days ago.  he spend a couple nights in the hospital and 2 days at his vets office as he was dehydrated but had no ketones present.  he is on 7 units of insulin as of now and he will be rechecked in 2 days.  his sugar is still running high (538) this morning (compared to off the charts when we started) but it is early in regulation.  he was eatting science diet w/d (canned) but he now hates it.  he refused to eat it this morning so i gave him some cesar right before his morning shot and he gobbled it up.  i have gone to the pet store and bought a few cans of EVO grain free low carb canned dog food.  i'll be giving him 1/2 can in the morning before his shot and 1/2 can in the evening before his shot.  should i add a little bit of oatmeal to it since it has no grains?  does a diabetic dog need grains?  i told the vet about my food problem and she said to just try and find him a low carb canned dog food that he will eat.  so what do you think??
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
long haired dacshund
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 06, 2010
Blood Test Results
:  
high glucose, diabetic