Animal Health - General Expert Forum
head/neck injury from 5ft fall to concrete

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

i am now going thru a very traumatic time with my (maybe 8-9wk old baby chi)
Last night i out walking and i went pic up chi pup he was so skirmish  that i lost grip of his Lil body he fell on concrete  he did not land on his legs immediately pick him up to see his head was in a stuck to the right side thought he was dead put him on the grass and started CPR  with also a strong petting motion to what it seemed like to unlock his neck he finally came to but was not able to stand  he fall down  scary thing was his Lil body flopping i rushed him to the VET ER   ( $ 1094.00 )
Today  dr calls and tells me that its best he stay in their care another night and also the radiologist suggested that he now be transferred to a neurologist for MRI ,due to a VERTABRET infraction? ( sorry but i did not write down the correct medical term for this injury,) He is at the same vet  tonight and if choose to do MRI i need to transfer him myself to the other VET ER then to just step in the  door cost up to $165.00 plus the MRI fee is  $ 2000.00. i really adore this little dog and i deeply have fallen in love with him his like having  baby again,he whines with such heart for his mommy ( as that would be me now ) just asmy 2 boys did as babies. i have been so upset and have not stopped crying with the thoughts of "what ifs" and the "whys" i feel terrible of not getting a better grip but it happened so fast  i just got call from VET   now given my estimate for overnight stay anthr 1000.00 as i read  threads on this website  other head injuries to chis   said they didnot hospitalize and seems their pet came out of their injuries with due time OK. my QUESTIO am i  going overboard w  VET Suggestions,Recommendations n  diagnostics? or go with  gut feeling an bring him home  where he  familiar and start my own inhome care with  mother nature naturally do what is best for the animal as well . please someone give me some hope
Tags: Dogs, head, head/neck, Head & Neck Injury, Neck, neck injury, fall, injuries, injured puppy, chiauwawa pup, bill vet
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
8-9wks
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
chi
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 30, 2012
City
:  
san diego
State/Province
:  
ca
Country
:  
us
Blood Test Results
:  
good
X-Ray Results
:  
possible vertebrate injury need MRI to get a better diagnostics
Other pertinent test results
:  
head injury due to a fall
This is very serious. Your dog has a fractured neck essentially and needs to stay in the hospital. To take him home would likely result in him getting worse and even higher bills.