Animal Health - General Expert Forum
help please!

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

help please!

I have a 4 year old golden retriever. 3 days ago she dropped to the ground and couldnt move, and was whining in pain. we took her to the vet and she said she sprained her ankle. its been 3 days and my dog has been in the same position  and she cant move. she goes to the bathroom on herself bc of the lack of mobility. she doesnt whine anymore but she doesnt eat. we are feeding her baby food. we called the vet today and she said to schedule an appointment with a spine and neuro doctor. please i am so scared. what can be wrong with her?
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
4 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
golden retriever
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
May 23, 2011
X-Ray Results
:  
negative
I am so sorry about the delay in answering this question.  Medhelp emails me when a new question is posted normally.  I did not see an email when this question was posted.

Spinal disc disease can cause the problem that you describe.  If you have not brought her to a neurologist please do so ASAP.  Acupuncture, Steroids, Muscle Relaxers, and other medications may be helpful, but occasionally spinal surgery is necessary.  An MRI can help to diagnosis the severity.

If it is not a spinal disease please have your vet check for tick borne diseases, such as Lyme, Ehrlichia, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and others with the appropriate blood tests.  If she has a high temperature it can help rule out an infectious cause rather than an inflammatory cause or injury.

Stroke?
Hi Krist.  I'm so sorry that your little girl is having problems.  There are probably many things that could cause your dog to respond like this.  I'm glad you took her in to the vet quickly and that you are proceeding with additional care.  I would be interested to see what the specialist says, if you feel like posting.  

I'm sure this is very scary -they're like our children.   Could be just vertigo from an inner ear infection.  Best of luck, and I will pray that it's nothing serious.  Babs