Animal Health - General Expert Forum
herbal solution to worms?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

herbal solution to worms?
hi again,
do herbal de-wormers can be consideted as a safe and efficent alternative to chemical de-wormers? if so, which brands can u advise? thanks for ur answer....
Before there were patented medications everyone used herbs as medications.

That does not mean that they are safe though; for example, black walnut hulls are very good for some parasites, but can cause laminitis in horses.

In order for herbals to kill off parasites they have to be slightly toxic.  Arsenic was used as an anti-parasitic in lower doses, and is a natural substance.

Please give me a list of what kind of parasites you would like to treat and I can try to provide you with safe herbal alternatives.
my cats don't have any indication of having parasites now...but my vet. and any other vet. here as far as I know suggest de-wormer medicine every 2or3 month as a device....for both the safety of cat and the owner....ı would be happy to use a less toxic alternative for that preventation thing if it is possible and neccessary.....
If your cats go out and eat mice often than it would be a good idea to give them a Drontal tablet every 6 months or so, since tape worm is very difficult to find on a fecal float. Fresh or sauted garlic (1 clove per cat)  is a natural anti-parasitic, but even that has side effects.  It can cause thinning of the blood and a kind of anemia if too much is given.

so every 3 months is too much....and my cat eats only cooked meat....ı already put garlic to his food....like 1 clove for the food for 1 week....it has great effect on coat and as far as ı know fleas and ticks don't like its smell....but if it dangerous than shoud ı stop to give it?
what ı mean is the commercial herbal medicine like those ones:

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=pet-worms

and I am curious about heartworms.... ı stopped using stonghold -which is efficent on preventing heartworms- because of the toxic effect...do ı need to use smtg. to prevent them?
thanks again for ur answer....ı just can not believe that all those vets. here use that dewormers every 2-3 mouths for indoor cats....even it is not necessary.....