Animal Health - General Expert Forum
how can i help my puppy
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

how can i help my puppy

hi< my 6 monthold puppy was diagnosed with pneumonia last monday, i took him to the vets after aweek of a little coughing and fast breathing.   they kept him in a done an x-ray and called me an few hours later to say that it was pneumonia and he was to stay in overnite on a iv drip. Bless my little buddie...... he ws so distressed at being there alone the vet called me to go and collcet him, he has been home for a week now, the first 3days he was eating and i cud get he anti-biotics into hes food, bt since then hes totally gone off food and had no anti-biotics at all, wev been to the vets today and he listened to Buddies chest and he said that it still sounded terrible, he gave him an anti-biotic injection and told me that if this didnt kick in within the next 24 hours then there was nothing else they could do.................. please jus give me some advice.... i dont want to have my boy put down....hes so young and has hes whole life ahead of him....... he was on the strontibiotics they could give.... bt surely theres something more they can do.... im scared to take him back tommorrow in case they say theres nothing more they can do...........help plz x jade x
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
6months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
staffordshire bull terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 06, 2012
City
:  
london
State/Province
:  
uk
Country
:  
uk
2054217_tn?1330542034
sorry for the late reply, hopefully you have not had to make a drastic decision. If youre still struggling with this case, get a second opinion. Pneumonia can be serious and not easy to treat, but there is a lot more that can be done other then antibiotics. Radiographs will help determine the cause of the pneumonia and a tracheal wash will give further information. There are medications that can help stimulate the immune system, drugs that wll help with breathing and break up the fluid and debris within his lungs, and supportive medication to keep him strong while he fights this off.
Good luck.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now