Animal Health - General Expert Forum
lymph nodes

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

lymph nodes
yesterday afternoon i noticed my dog had two huge balls on each side of his neck under his jaw. ive been reading about lymph nodes and i believe this is what he has. he is acting normal and had been eating regularly. hes a bit overweight. my parents refuse to take him to see a vet and im terrified for my baby. i dont know what to do. is it safe to see if he starts vomiting to take him to a vet? or should he be seen immediately? i heard it could be an allergic reaction of some sort too?
The masses that you are feeling may be enlarged lymph nodes or salivary glands. The reason may be infection, or something more serious, and veterinary exam is needed to see what the swellings are. An allergic reaction is unlikely, since allergic reactions usually cause a swollen face/muzzle or hives. As long as he is eating, drinking and breathing normally, then it can probably wait until Monday, when your regular veterinarian is open. You can also look online for low cost veterinary clinics in your area.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Large lymph nodes big enough for pet owners to feel may be due to cancer called lymphosarcoma also. I'd make sure to bring your dog in for a veterinary exam!