Animal Health - General Expert Forum
mast cell tumor

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

mast cell tumor

I work for a vet in south Florida. When my 4 year old cat was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor inside his ear I was devastated. He had this swelling inside his ear since he was 8 weeks old. I had him examined by my vet, a specialist and another emergency vet and had over the past 3 years told me to leave it alone. Its an ear and not enough tissue to work with. So stupid me did. I should of known better seeing my clients pets being diagnosed with fatal weird things for 15 years.Well finally 2 weeks ago I just didnt want him scratching at his ear any longer and told my boss I really want this off. Surgery went real well, but he was miserable with bandage on ear for week. We have dissolvable sutures in there but hes managed to scratch almost all out. It really doesnt look bad in the healing stage its in. I would never put him through chemo or radiation. Hes my friend, baby and a cat. Dogs I would consider doing chemo but cats are so sensitive to things I wouldnt torture him with that. Suppossedly the only cure is to take it off and hope it hasnt spread and doesnt regrow.My cat has by far passed all the literature on saying they only live with this for 19 months. Hes had this for almost 4 years. I just need some information on anything relating to felines,remedys,and any helpful info I can get my hands on. No one seems to know alot about this in cats. One of my clients has a couple of there pets on neoplasene. But the literature I'm reading talks about dogs. Will not torture him with anything thats painful or since a cat foul tasting. I'm not stressing him to eat something daily that I have to force on him. I'd rather him be happy for a shorter time than miserable doing treatments to him that will leave him sick and just to buy him a couple months.Any info is appreciated.      mimi in sunrise      my friend is sly
Type of Animal
:  
feline
Age of Animal
:  
4
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
domestic shorthair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 09, 2009
Cutaneous mast cell tumor in cats can be curative with surgery, if there is no metastasis.  The prognosis is good in this case.

Neoplasene is very difficult to give to cats but is warranted, if there are signs of metastasis.  Since it has been four years since the surgery and there is no sign of recurrance, than prognosis sounds good, but your cat should always be monitored for possible recurrance.  

If at a later date there is recurrance, than excisonal surgery should again be performed.  If there is any possibility that complete excision cannot be performed,  than Neoplasene, Chinese herbal chemotherapy agents, and other therapies can be instituted.