Animal Health - General Expert Forum
my dog isspayed and having vaginal discharge

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

my pit bull mix is 1 1/2 years old. she has been spayed and has still been having a foul smelling odor from her vaginal area.
A friend told me that she might have gangrene! is this a possibility?

Signed,
                      Dog lover
You should have her examined by her veterinarian very soon.  Gangrene would be very unusual, but if it were gangrene it would be a medical and surgical emergency.  If she is eating and drinking normally and her activity level is normal than she may have vaginitis or a urinary tract infection.   There is only one opening in the dog for the vagina and urethra.  Your veterinarian will request a urine sample from your dog to do a urinalysis, and will also possibly do a culture and sensitivity of her vaginal secretions to determine the best antibiotic,  antifungal,  or other medication necessary.  Atlernately your dog could have an infection of the uterine stump.  A small portion of uterine tissue is left after a dog is spayed and though uncommon, it can become infected.  Other diagnostics will also be necessary, such as bloodwork and abdominal X-Rays.  Hope this helps!  Thanks,  Dr. Cheng
1 Comment
I'm not sure about the gangrene but it's completely possible for her to have vaginitis. Take her to the vet to get checked out!