Animal Health - General Expert Forum
mycoplasma pneumonia recovery
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

mycoplasma pneumonia recovery

My cat had an alarming chest x-ray after I brought him in for coughing and sneezing. Besides that he is very healthy and eats and drinks and maintains his weight. He is deduced to have mycoplasma pneumonia. He was put on doxycycline, and has been taking it for about a week now. After a few days, the biggest change I noticed was that he started sounding very phegmy and seemed to be coughing up a lot more mucus and a lot more frequently than before. He is still very mucusy and when i listen to his breathing wtih my ear against his chest, I can hear a sort of wheezing in his lungs. SO, I am wondering if he is actually recovering and the doxy is helping to break up what was in his lungs and I just have to wait for it to clear up,  or if I should be concerned by this change and see the vet immediately? Thank you.
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
DSH
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 22, 2012
City
:  
New York
State/Province
:  
NY - New York
Country
:  
United States
Blood Test Results
:  
all normal
X-Ray Results
:  
infiltrates in the lungs... seem to follow bronchial pattern. extensive.
2054217_tn?1330542034
Sorry for the late reply.
As the saying goes "better out then in" and I expect these signs are due to a loosening of the infection and your cat is now expelling debris from his lungs. When in doubt, always ask your orginal vet as they will know the case.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979