Animal Health - General Expert Forum
nipple discharge

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

nipple discharge

My 2 year old lhasa apso,s appitite was low,soon after this (next day) I was looking at her tummy and noticed crusty stuff on her nippels.I washed and trimmed the area around all the nippels.Then I gently squeesed each one.There was discharge from all of them,a whitish yellow with some just a small drip from one it sprayed out(much like a pimple would do).The two nipples next to the vagina one was swollen more than the other next to it.the others were not swollen.
She was in heat a while ago and it ended about a month ago.Shes not spayed and she didnt have puppies so I dont think its milk.Could you please give me an answer as to what it might be?Im scared for her and dont want to lose my baby.Please contact me as soon as possible.Thank you so very much.Audrea Lambert hm:518-694-3757cell:518-894-2423 email ***@****.
She may have been undergoing pseudocyesis, which is a false pregnancy and is usually not a serious problem.  The liquid coming from her nipples is milk or even colostrum (first milk).  Please take her to your vet, who may give her a hormone injection, or recommend spaying to stop the problem.