Animal Health - General Expert Forum
pemphigus-prednisone and antibiotics

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

pemphigus-prednisone and antibiotics

It has become not affordable for me to get blood tests and most likely she would never several. If she has hypothyroidism.  Doesn't have all of the symptoms.  She was lethargic (under covers) not drinking,  not very hungry and losing weight, has anal gland issues controlled.  She is on Dr. Harvey's Canine for 12 days and her condition looks worse.  She may be allergic to grains.  She is on 1/4 tab of Prednisone (5mg) and on Clavamox for 8 days and will be starting Zeniquin 25 mg 1/4 tab daily.  I wish i could show you a pic of her skin it looks horrible.  It started at 4 months old and she is now 14 months old.  The vet said she has pemphigus fol autoimmune disease.  But could have hypothyroidism or something else.  She gained 14 oz she is 3.13 chihuahua.  She was lethargic when i took her to the vet, had swollen feet, swollen around mouth, pus in eyes, ear tip crustly,  Pustles all over back with no hair, crusty thick.  Would like to know how to get the crusts to lift?  She moans at night and is shaky so i don't know if she is in pain.  Does the prednisone stop pain because once she has a pill i notice she seems better?  How long does prednisone stay in your system?  Im afraid to clean her back it looks so sore.  She has pimples on her back.  A few days ago her back looked like yellow pustules that came threw the skin.  I don't know what else to do for her to help her.  Would a raw diet be ok?  Would she have to take a supplement?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
14 months old
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 06, 2011
City
:  
Berlin
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
None
X-Ray Results
:  
None
Other pertinent test results
:  
skin scrape for mange (neg)
I am so sorry about your dog!  She is so young to be having these problems.

It might be a good idea to switch her food to a raw, novel protein diet.  Novel protein is something she has never been exposed to before.  Grain free is also necessary.  So choose products that are free of grains and starches.  Try to switch from the old food to the new gradually.  Do not use venison since it is a "hot" food and her skin is very inflamed and that means hot.

It is very difficult to find Scabies mites on a skin scraping.  Demodex is easy to find.  Therefore, although the skin scraping was negative for mange it only means that it is negative for Demodex.  Your dog could still have Scabies.  It might be a good idea to have your dog treated for Scabies in addition to continuing with the pemphigus treatment.  Please ask your vet about this possibility.   The treatment for Scabies is Ivermectin once weekly either by infection or orally.  It is not expensive.

Ask your vet if bathing with an anti-inflammatory shampoo bi-weekly would also help.

The Chinese herbal formula: Blood Heat Formula, available from the Jing Tang Herbal Company is specifically for Pemphigus and may be worth a try.  It is available by prescription.  Another herbal formula which is available without a prescription online is: Mu Dan Pi or Mu Dan Pi He Ji (if you can find it).  If you use an adult human formula please use 1/4 dose twice daily.  If it is available in the teapill form: use 2 teapills orally three times daily.
Her pustules broke open stripping the hair and leaving crustiness.  Is there anything for dogs to help the dry elephant skin.  She needs something to moisturize it.  Anything over the counter for very very very dry skin?  Its her entire back.  She is itchy.  I will try what you suggested and im very grateful for your time and help.