Animal Health - General Expert Forum
poodle that vomits everytime he eats.
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

poodle that vomits everytime he eats.

I have a 8y/o toy poodle who is in good health. About 5 days ago, he started vomiting daily about 1-2x.  This is usually about 5-6 hours after he has eaten or in the middle of the night. The vomit usually consists of his food, no blood. His stools are completely normal and otw he is acting normally - very energetic and playful. I haven't changed his food.  Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
I like the fact that your dog is still playful, and acting normally; however, I would take your dog to the veterinarian soon.  It has been going on a bit too long to be a stomach virus.  At 8 years of age, although still relatively young for a toy poodle, he is in late middle age and this is when things begin to go wrong.

The causes of acute vomiting are numerous and include:  foreign body ingestion, kidney disease, liver disease, parasites, hormonal diseases (such as Addison's disease), food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, helicobacter-related gastritis, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, some cancers, toxins, side-effects to medicines, ear infections, and the list goes on and on.  

Your veterinarian should begin by doing a CBC/Chemistry, Thyroid test, fecal and giardia test, urinalysis, abdominal X-Rays, and a heartworm, Lyme, Erlichia, and Anaplasmosis test to begin with.  More involved tests may follow after this one, if necessary.

Hope that helps!  Good luck.  Dr. Cheng
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979