Animal Health - General Expert Forum
reactions to shots
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

reactions to shots

My one year old **** tzu had a series of vaccines the other day. he had his distempter, lyme and  radies all at the same time. He got his shots about 9 a.m. and at 6 p.m. he started to run around and ran into the wall. I picked him up and his eyes were swollen shut and his face and lips were swollen. The vet gave him an i.v. and a shot and about one hour later he started to response. Is it dangerous to give all these shots at the same time? He has been very quiet since and I am wondering what effects his reaction could cause if any. Thank you.
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
There is always a danger of vaccine reaction even with only a single vaccine.  

Most traditionally vets continue to use the same vaccine protocol that they have beentaught in vet school. However, there is a growing trend toward in the holistic vet community, of giving less vaccines and performing vaccine titers instead.

Vaccine titers are measurements of vaccine antibodies in the blood, and tell the vet if the vaccine from the previous year is still adequate to prevent the disease.  Many vaccines can protect much longer than the yearly limit of protection dictated by the vaccine manufacturers.  Additionally, many vets split vaccines in smaller dogs, like the Shih-Tzu by giving no more than two vaccines per visit.  It requires that you take your dog to the vet more often, and that can be an inconvenience.

In the future request the following for your dog:  Titers in place of the Distemper combo vaccine; that only one vaccine be given per time to determine which vaccine is the cause of the vaccine reaction in your dog, and premedication with benedryl.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity