Animal Health - General Expert Forum
red lips

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

red lips

Over the past few days I have noticed that my Great Dane's top lip has become red almost purple as if it is chapped or something.  The whole lip used to be completely black like the rest of him. He is a puppy and trys to get into things. He is also still crate training and if he goes to the bathroom in his crate he will lick and or eat it while we are gone and he is in there.  We bought him a new toy last week also. Can any of these things be contributing to his red lip? We have not changed his food.  Is there anything I can give him? Do I need to be concerned?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
8 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Great Dane
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
December 15, 2009
City
:  
Dallas
State/Province
:  
Tx
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Parvo at 3 to 4 months
X-Ray Results
:  
Broken leg at 4 months
Dear pinkstang23,

A pink upper lip can be insignificant or instead, related to a developing problem. The simplest explanation is the dog may have enjoyed chewing the new, now roughened surface of the toy so much that he has irritated his lip. In that case, no big deal.

Alternatively some plastics in bowls or other materials can give off resins when new that can irritate the skin. Generally metal or ceramic bowls are best as they are impervious. Plastic toys are generally safe if of strong enough materials that they are not swallowed in pieces.

Other skin diseases or skin manifestations of systemic diseases are possible. First, take the toy away for a couple of days and see if the lip returns to normal. If it does, then he can have his toy back and the redness is just a sign of his enjoyment, and I wouldnt worry about it. if it doesnt resolve, see your doctor. After a broken leg and a bout of Parvo, you and your dog dont need any more trouble!

Sincerely,

Arnold L. Goldman DVM, MS
MedHelp & PDOC