Animal Health - General Expert Forum
renal failure update
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

renal failure update

Since my last post ("acute renal failure recovery"?), here are the updates and my question:

We went to get his bloodwork done early today, and his BUN level had gone up since Monday (and IV fluid therapy cessation). It is still within normal range, but high normal. His phosphorous level is still low normal. His creatinine, however has gone up and is a few decimal points (.3) above normal. Now I wonder if those levels indicate his kidneys sustained permanent damage, or if this fluctuation is normal due to the stress his kidneys endured over the weekend. The doctor, an eternal optimist and very hesitant to make me worry even more, would not (or could not) tell me either way. Her only advice was, "Let's check him again in a week." Any thoughts?