Animal Health - General Expert Forum
sick puppy

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

sick puppy
I just got a american eskimo puppy he is 12 weeks I believe. When we took him home he jumped right at the food and ate a lot. It almost seemed like he hadn't been fed in days. I had to take the food away from him because his stomach looked to be swollen and hard. Ever since then he hasn't been able to really poop, but I can tell he needs to because he is walking funny. When he does go to poop it is runny and not solid. What should I do?
He may just have intestinal parasites.  Tapeworm, giardia, coccidia and others may be difficult to find on standard fecal tests.  I would take your puppy to the vet ASAP and have him dewormed empirically.  Please also have a fecal or stool check.  Most worms and protozoa are NOT eliminated with only one or two de-wormings, and different parasites require different anti-parasite medications.  

Thank you for your help. We actually figured out it was the soft food we were giving him. He's much better now.