Animal Health - General Expert Forum
sick rabbit

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

sick rabbit

Dear Aleda Cheng

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and not really sure how it works, but I've gathered that you are the doctor? I've posted a question before but didnt get a reply, perhaps because I didnt adress it to you? Anyway, if you could please consider my problem I'd be really really greatful!
we have two nearly five year old female rabbits. One of them recently lost a bit of hair on her head but now it seems to have grown back, but another smaller one has shown up with a little cut( on her head too). A few years ago she had one around her eye but it has healed. Her eye has been weeping a bit recently but seems to be getting better. The weeping eye occurred in our other one a few years ago too, but has dissapeared. She isnt experiencing any hair loss, but because she is the dominant one, we were wondering if maybe she attacked our other one? Is there something wrong?

Thanks,
ria

Peekawho, Thanks so much for your kind words!

To Ria 2008,  

Sorry about not answering your question before.  I did not know that it was a new question.  I just thought it was a comment.  Thank you for submitting it as a new question. I have posted a short answer on the prior question.  This is an extended answer.

Behavioral problems are similar in most species.  

There is a pecking order in a rabbit warren, one rabbit will always be dominant and one will always be subordinate.  So I think that the scratches and  wounds found on your rabbits were from fighting.

Rabbits will fight for: territory,  dominance, or behavioral issues; or most importantly, from sexual frustration, which occurs when a dominant female is in estrus (heat).   She will take out her sexual frustration on other members of her warren by mounting the other rabbits and causing damage to their skin, or will just generally harass other rabbits in close proximity.  

Since rabbits continuously  seem to go into heat all year these hormonal problems might seem to occur fairly frequently.  Spaying the rabbits will eliminate the hormonal problems.  Supplying hiding places will probably help also.

I assumed that your rabbits were not spayed, if they have been spayed than aggression due to sexual frustration is not an issue.

If your rabbits are spayed than you may have to watch them very carefully and institute behavioral modification, as you would with any pet.  
Be patient; Dr. Cheng has a busy vet practice, and it can take a day or so for her to get back to you with an answer.  There have also been some glitches in the Med Help forums due to the new format, so perhaps your last question was lost.

Anyway, keep checking back!  We are so grateful that Dr. Cheng volunteers her time in this way.  She's truly a gem.  
Thank you so much for answering my question! She seems to be fine but still has the missing patch of hair. what should I do if it keeps occurring and they have not been spayed, because we thought having two female rabbits, they would not need to be.
Thank you
ria