Animal Health - General Expert Forum
skinny cat

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

skinny cat

my cat is 4 years old and has always been an indoor cat. she started to fatten up last year, and then earlier this year she got sick, and threw up for days, took her to vet and they said dehydrated, they wanted to run a bunch of test but i couldnt afford them so they said they did the important ones and she was fine. so they put a bunch of medicine under her skin (there was a huge buldge where it was ) and it went away after a few days. after throwing up for a few days, and not eating a thing , naturally she lost the weight..... she has been fine ever since, she is just skinny. she eats all the time, she doesnt eat much but there is ALWAYS food left out for them. i just got another cat in april and he weighs more then her and she is a few years older. i know some cats are real fat, some are skinny, just like people they are all different.

is this normal? do i just have a skinny petitie kitty?.....im a college student and dont have the $ to take to vet, and besides she acts perfectly normal, plays with other cats, eats,poops and sleeps.....what cats do....lol
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
4
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
tabby feline
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 04, 2011
City
:  
lauderhill
State/Province
:  
florida
Country
:  
us
Blood Test Results
:  
dehydrated
The first problem that I have noticed is that you leave food out for your cats all the time (and I am assuming that it is a dry food).  Dry food is now considered a no no for cats.  Historically cats started out as desert animals and derived all their water from their prey and therefore, did not have to drink water.  Today, cats still don't drink enough liquid and should be fed only all canned or wet food.  The average sized cat does very well on 1/2 of a 5.5 ounce can of cat food twice daily.  Try to find grain-free canned food since cats have no requirement for grains.  You should always switch gradually from the old diet to the new diet, however to avoid gastrointestinal side effects.

Now about your skinny cat:  It is true that cats can be perfectly healthy and still be skinny.  However, cats who eat a lot and cannot gain weight can also have hyperthyroidism.  I think that hyperthyroidism may be unusual due to the young age of your cat but one never knows.  Since your cat seems currently healthy you could wait until her next yearly checkup and discuss a diagnostic work-up with your vet that examines the most common disease possibilities. The earlier a disease is found, the earlier it can be treated.   Hopefully, your cat is free of all diseases and just has a fast metabolism.

Most vets will work with their clients to accommodate their budgets.