Animal Health - General Expert Forum
snake bitten
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

snake bitten

My snake was attack while being fed over night.Ther are several laserations fairly deep,its been about two weeks since, the wounds are healing but the mouth seems to be full of what looks like a scab,the tounge still seems to come out but maybe just for now,is death eminent,and if not what should i do?
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
There are good antibiotics for snakes, just as there are for other species.  Is there an exotic vet in your area that examine your son's snake and prescribe antibiotics if not too late?  
3 Comments
Blank
212161_tn?1391090750
MY SON HAD A BOA THAT THE RAT ATE ON HIM, HE WAS VERY SICK. SO MY SON PUT HIM IN THE FREZER WHICH SLOWEY PUT HIM TO SLEEP WHERE HE DIED. I HATE SNAKES BUT WAS SAD ABOUT THAT. CANT SAY YOUR SNAKE WILL DIE BUT I WISH YOU THE BEST.
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
That's one of the problems with using live prey as food. You said it's been 2 weeks since the attack. Is your snake able to eat at all now with the scab in/on the mouth area? I've only dealt with snakes that have been cat caught or cut up by a weed whacker. Still, I've kept the wounds clean and used meds. If your snake's mouth still looks bad, a trip to the vet is needed. It's not necessary to let the snake suffer or slowly starve to death.

As for the freezer, it's not considered a humane way to euthanize. Again, your vet would have the means to euthanize if necessary.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity