Animal Health - General Expert Forum
spayed dog bleeding

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

spayed dog bleeding
Hello
i have a cookerspanol female dog.. my brother in law got from the shelter but coundn't take care she's about 9 years old i took her and she's beeing whith me for a copple of years ...when he got her i remember my sister sayng that the dog had her period but she is spayed ...the blood stop and last year she had hard time going up the stairs and walking i bring to the vet and the vet gave some pain medicine and said it was just muscular pain ..i spend money and she got better but the blood part came back she's beein urinade blood for a couple of weeks but she's acting normal is not alot just spooding....what could be i'm very afread cuz i lost my job and i can be spending money that i dont have ...please help me
It may be a urinary tract infection and not  "period" blood.  The vulva and the urethra are located close together in the dog and it is difficult to distinguish the cause of the bleeding.

Please bring a fresh urine sample to the vet to make sure that she doesn't have a urinary tract infection.  This is not a costly test.  And many antibiotics that effectively treat urinary tract infections are not expensive.

There is a blood test that can test your dog's hormones to see if she is indeed spayed.  This test is more costly so please have the test for the urinary tract infection first to save money.