Animal Health - General Expert Forum
swollen abdomen

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

swollen abdomen

Hi, my 7 year old black lab started drinking and urinating a lot in december 2011. the vet tested her for diabetis and it was negative, then after a urine test he said she had a urine infection and gave antibiotics.
By early January she was still drinking a lot and started to have a swollen abdomen.  We then proceeded to have lots of visits and he diagnosed diabetis and put her on daily insulin injections.  In March she had a lump appear on the top of her head and started to have problems moving around, she seemed to have a problem with her left hip. She also had skin problems on her neck, the vet said the skin problems were due to diabetis. As time has gone on her |head has become even more skeletal and her muscles on her back end seem to be getting weaker and weaker. My vet blames everything on diabetis but it must be more than that?

Tags: Tags: dogs swollen abdomen
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
7
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
labrador
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
July 02, 2012
Diabetes certainly can cuase weight loss and muscle atrophy assuming it is not well controlled. Normally when I diagnose a patient with diabetes I explain to the pet owner that this disease is controllable with regular insulin injections and dietary management. Repeat blood tests will be needed to "tweak" the treatment plan but as long as the vet and the pet owner are working together then the prognosis for diabetes is quite good. If you have been allowing the recommended tests to be performed and have been following the instructions with regards to insulin administration and nutrition then there is no reason why youe dog should be losing weight and having skin issues due to the diabetes. You need to be proactive in this case and ask your vet if he/she feels the diabetes is under control. If not then why? If you feel you are doing your duty as a pet owner then you need to seek another vet's opinion to get help in controlling the diabetes. If the tests (blood glucose curves, fructosamine test) confirm that the diabetes is under control then the symptoms you are describing are due to something else, for example other hormonal conditions such as Cushing's disease or hypothyroidism, heart or liver disease would explain the weight loss and abdominal fluid, unfortunately certain types of cancers are also a possibility. so speak with your vet, politely demand some answers and when in doubt get a second opinion.