Animal Health - General Expert Forum
swollen lymph nodes in neck

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

swollen lymph nodes in neck
My dog has swollen lymph nodes in her neck and i have seen 2 doctors with her and neither one can give me any answers to what it could be.  One vet told me it is the salivary glands, the other lymph nodes. I think it is the lymph nodes b/c they feel the same as when a dog that has an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.   One vet told me to put her on soloxine the other said not to worry about it.  I am not sure which one to believe i trust both of them but i feel like they are overlooking something. what would my next step be to find out if i should worry about this or not?  
Swollen lumps under the neck could indeed be salivary glands or lymph nodes; if palpation cannot be used to differentiate which structure is enlarged, then a needle aspirate or biopsy needs to be performed to identify the problem, If the lymph node is enlarged, it could signal infection or lymphoma (a type of cancer), and so further diagnostics are needed--a low thyroid does not cause swelling in the neck. If aspirate has already been done and did not reveal an answer, then consider getting a second opinion at an internal medicine specialist-- there are several in Indianapolis: Veterinary Specialty Center‎ 9745 Randall Dr, Indianapolis, IN‎ - (317) 848-0318; or ‎
VCA Indiana Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Center‎ 8250 Bash St, Indianapolis, IN‎ - (317) 841-3606‎
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD