Animal Health - General Expert Forum
vomiting and diarhhea

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

vomiting and diarhhea
Jade has not eaten in over 24 hours.  She appears to have a tummy virus?  She drinks but will spit up about half of it shortly after.  She had a bowel movement about 2 am Saturday morning which was normal and another running about noon on Saturday.  It is now 6 pm on Saturday.  I cannot get her to eat anything.  When she has vomited it was white frothy just like her tummy is empty.  My question, do I need to take her to the emergency vet or just take her to her vet first thing Monday morning.  Both of her human parents are in the medical profession and we don't want to over react but we don't want to wait to long either.  Jade is only 11 lbs.
I am glad that your baby is finally eating and feeling better.  

It sounds as if she could have had a touch of gastritis, which does happen to be going around.  Other possibilities are hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, pancreatic inflammation or pancreatitis, foreign body ingestion, and others.  Do seek professional help if the problem returns.
update, she had an orangish diarhhea about 8 pm.  Just realized that Monday is Labor day.  
so sorry for Jade's troubles. I'm not the Vet here, it may take awhile for her to get back to you so I'm going to step in to tell you NOT to wait, take her to a clinic immediately....cats can't go very long without food before they go into a condition called 'fatty liver disease' it can be irreversible...please take her asap. ((>^.^<))♥
Thank you for your reply.  I'm happy to say that my baby girl has finally eaten and has much more energy today.  Jade woke up feeling much, much better.  She had us worried but she was still drinking and wasn't lethargic.  I have been told that dogs can go no longer than a week without food and only 3 days without water.  
hi, I am so happy to hear that....sorry but I thought Jade was a cat..didn't read well enough, go into panic mode too quickly. I'm not sure how long a dog can go....but I do know its critical for a cat to not go beyond 24 hrs..
Hopefully dr. Chen will comment for us...-)